Monday, March 12, 2007

Never Sit on the Panic Button

Yesterday morning, when my kids and I arrived at church, we piled out of the van, gathering all sorts of bags and gear. I still needed to grab my bottle of water. So, after scooping my toddler from her carseat, I sat back down in the driver's seat, leaned in, and snatched up the bottle. That's when it started.

The echoing of car horns off nearby buildings. On time-change Sunday at oh-dark-thirty... well, not quite. But not quiet, either.

Oops, I'd sat on the panic button.

I had put my keys in the pocket of my coat and when I sat down, my coat shifted and wow, was this awkward. But I could only laugh. My older kids were saying "What's going on? Is that us?!"

I stand back up, water bottle somehow in hand with my toddler and bags, and I fumble in my pocket for the keys. Oh, boy, they're buried. Okay, toss one glove into the van. There! My keys.

I lift them out and focus on that little red button on the fob. Then click the alarm stops. Shew!! Everybody exhale.

One of the pastors met us on the way in. He was laughing, too, as he watched us tromp forward. "You're going to wake the neighbors," he said, chuckling.

I contained myself a bit and told him, "It's never good to sit on the panic button."

So, we get inside and are warmly greeted by the precious family of God. My heart is ready for a touch from Him. I drop off the kiddos to their classes and walk into the sanctuary just as my husband and the rest of the worship team are taking the platform.

As we reached toward the Lord yesterday, He reached back--in power, with His love and by gracing us with His glorious presence.

I love that about Him. Here's His promise: "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8a)

I pray your week is doused in the love of God.

No comments: