Monday, November 5, 2007

Pumpkin Spice

Ever noticed how a fragrance can lighten your mood? Odors can make you wince, but lovely aromas can elicit a sigh.

The other night I hosted our writer's critique group in my home and before they arrived, I lit my pumpkin spice candle. It has an amazing fragrance. We laughed and talked about wafting the smell toward your nose, not just inhaling directly over the glass jar.

I was at the drug store today and picked up tealights with a pine fragrance. Not a personal favorite. But, the cinnamon candles? Yum. Right now one of the cinnamon candles influences the atmosphere in my writing office while I pen this post.

Music does the same thing. My husband and I visited a restaurant one afternoon for lunch and the music was so difficult to endure. Most of the songs took us back to a place in our pasts we'd rather not revisit. But right now, as I write this, I'm listening to piano instrumental music--a favorite of mine for writing. There's almost a visible peace in my room. That day in the pizza place? The music chased us out and darkened our experience.

Music and fragrance make a difference. Try this: the next time you prepare for your quiet time with God, when you grab your Bible, also take a moment to light a fragranced candle and turn on worship music. These elements may just bring a new dynamic to your experience. God created your senses. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Dawn Kinzer said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I couldn't agree with you more.

And I LOVE pumpkin spice and cinnamon fragrances. My favorite, too. So warm and comforting. :)