Monday, November 19, 2007

Strong Foundation

It happened again.

My computer made a decision to hibernate, without telling me first. Here I am in the middle of an email to a fellow writer when BAM! I'm staring at a blank screen, save that one little window in the middle: Preparing to Hibernate.

Okay, so it's autumn and some days I'd like to hibernate, too, but come on!

So, I head off to get my cord and return to get some juice into this puppy. I plug in, flip open the top and what do you think is the first thing that happens? A beep followed by a pop-up window that reads: Critical Battery---plug in or else!! (or something like that )

Thanks for such a timely warning.

Ya know what, though? Sometimes we don't get a warning before something unnerving happens. That's why we need a strong foundation. Life's little problems and life's bigger problems are less unsettling if we have a strong foundation. Take a look at what Jesus said:

"But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do the things which I say? "Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: "He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. "But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great." (Lu 6:46-49 NKJV)

How do you react when something serious comes your way? If we have taken the time to develop a deep relationship with Jesus, the Prince of Peace, we will have peace--even when life tosses a surprise at us. When Jesus speaks peace over your life, He imparts rest and calm to you, because His words bear the power to calm you on the inside. You'll have peace in circumstances that warrant angst. You'll have peace that passes understanding. With a strong foundation in Jesus, you'll have rest in your heart.

I wish you peace.

No comments: