Monday, July 6, 2009

Freedom


Saturday night, the smoke from hundreds of fireworks around our neighborhood obscured the flag standing tall in a neighbor’s still yard.

Got me thinking about the battle for our country’s independence: the rocket’s red glare, the smoke clearing and the flag representing freedom in the midst of the fighting.

I imagine the flag inspired our soldiers as they fought for freedom.

What do you hang onto as you push through the hard times toward freedom or victory?

I run to the Scriptures. They’ve carried me through some tough times.

The thing about the Word of God is that it is both an anchor as you await victory, as well as the means for attaining victory in your situation. It is your sword and your light as you go. The Word of God inspires, like that flag through the smoky mist.


I’m grateful to the soldiers who fought for freedom (and those who fight today). I’m thankful for this country. And I’m thankful for freedom.

No comments: