Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hugs


My preschooler loves to snuggle. She knows she can come up to me at any time and I will accept her onto my lap. I might be writing at my computer, or washing dishes (in which case, she gets a snuggle from the side. :-)

As I was holding her in church the other day, God reminded me of His love for me and how much He delights to accept me whenever I come to Him.

Believers have perks.

If someone else’s daughter ran up to me, I’d think twice about catching her up for a hug: Would her mother mind? How well do I know her and her family? How comfortable would she be hugging someone else’s mom?

God adopted you. Purposefully. (see Ephesians 1) If you are believer, you have access to the King’s lap. You can turn to God at any time and receive His affection.

“…to the praise of the glory of His grace in which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.” (Ephesians 1:6)

Whenever I hold my daughter, my heart is moved with love for her. I want to protect her, provide for her, make her comfortable, soothe away all her fears or sadness, or tickle her to make her giggle. I will listen to her troubles and try to help. We talk and share stories or sing together.

God wants us to feel comfortable in His “lap” – prayer. We can come to Him and receive His affection, protection, provision. His heart is moved with love for you. And no matter what you do or have done, YOU are accepted in Jesus by God the Father.

Go ahead! Run into His arms. Receive His love. Get a hug.

No comments: