Thursday, September 24, 2009

While We Wait

I can be really impatient. Can I get a witness?

Months ago, my husband and I watched Fireproof for the first time. Being a musician, my ears and heart immediately picked up on a fantastic song about 3/4 through the movie--While I'm Waiting by John Waller. Fantastic intro on this song and that's only the beginning--truly. The words go on to talk about waiting on God to move when it's painful, difficult, challenging to wait for Him to fulfill what He's spoken.

There are many promises God has placed in my heart. I know He'll fulfill them. I'm can look around and see how he's already fulfilled previous promises.

Still, I wait for Him to bring these others to pass.

It's hard to wait.

But, then I catch a glimpse of the fruit He's bringing into my life. Like maybe a smidgen more patience. Purer motives--it's less about me and more about Him. Humility. It's not up to me. That's freeing. Dependence upon Him. A very good byproduct of a long wait.

What kinds of fruits has waiting brought into your life?

The other thing He's teaching me is it's not all about the destination. I keep my eyes pinned there because it carries me forward, boosts my energy and generally motivates me through the tough times. But God is here in the journey. He's truly the one carrying me forward while I wait.

When you are tempted to go for an Ishmael answer--remember:

Delight yourself also in the LORD,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
(Psalm 37:4, NKJV)

He puts the desires in our hearts for His will as we delight ourselves in Him. Then, he fulfills those desires.

What a good God!!

One more encouraging Scripture:

Who is this coming up from the wilderness,

leaning on her Beloved?

(Song of Solomon 8:5a, MKJV)


Waiting or celebrating, I wanna be leaning. And if waiting teaches me to lean, if it means I can press my face to Jesus' chest, hear His heart beating with love for me, I'm there. I'll press in.

And I'll wait.

No comments: