Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Newness Series: Embracing Grace

flower pot with fresh growth
In a new season, don’t expect things to be the same. Should go without saying, right? But we’re creatures of habit and we draw security from doing things the same way or expecting that if we do, we’ll have the same results. But in a new season, everything is negotiable. Nothing is certain.

One thing that shouldn’t change is our hope.

Recently, I queued up a song on my mp3 player that I hadn’t heard in a while, Chris Rice’s Smellin’ Coffee. I love the line about waking up and the past being gone. That’s the hope of a new season. That’s the gift of a new day, a new week,
a new year.

Winter can drag on, can’t it? But I’m glad God gives us seasons. Seasons remind us of newness because change is always happening. And new years. A new year comes complete with hope. That’s why people make resolutions. They feel emboldened by the fresh start.

Truth is, everyday offers the gift of hope.

This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.
Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

(Lamentations 3:21-23 NKJV)

So, no matter how yesterday went, we can leave it with God. Good or bad, we can walk forward, unencumbered. Into a new season, into a new day, a new year. Embracing grace.

Amen!