Monday, May 12, 2008

Perfect Sync

I watched a couple jog by this morning, going uphill on an adjacent street to ours. They were in perfect sync and though I noticed that, I didn’t stop to think about it. I’d moved my laptop into my living room and sat typing my latest novel. About a half-hour later, I saw them jog back down the hill, again, in perfect sync. That’s when I started thinking what it took to jog side by side. They’re likely spouses. Does one of them jog faster alone? Did he or she have to slow down in order to keep in step? Both looked fit. Had they practiced long before they were able to match pace like they seemed to do so effortlessly? Did one have to sacrifice for the other?

Jesus slows His pace to keep in step with me. Oops, there they go again, on the same hill. This time, the male is several paces ahead of the female. She is jogging at about the same speed, but perhaps since he’s taller his paces are longer. Either way, they’re no longer in sync.

Isn’t it amazing that God will humble Himself (not from a prideful and lofty position, but from the holy and high place of God’s dwelling) to “jog” with me. He wants to be close to me, yoked together and running at the same pace. I’m so glad He honors me with His presence.

We’re all running a race.

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. (1 Corinthians 9:24, NKJV)

Like a coach, Jesus urges me to finish strong. But, like a Lover, He runs alongside me, strategizing the best route, sharing the burdens I pick up along the way. He’ll even take those burdens from me altogether, if I let go.

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1, NKJV)

I don’t want to straggle behind, getting caught up in unimportant thoughts, plans or worries. I don’t want to try to get ahead, tripping myself up on unknown obstacles. I want to run in perfect sync with Him, the Lover of my soul. He’s so loving and humble to want the same thing.

1 comment:

Dawn Kinzer said...

Wonderful post, Annette.

Thanks for reminding me that I don't run this race alone... :)