Monday, October 20, 2008

Devotions

It’s raining and gusty outside. As I sit at my writing desk this morning, little birds make their way to the bird feeder outside my window. I used to think birds hid during the rain, preferring their warm nests to fluttering about searching for food.

These songbirds weren’t letting rain and wind keep them from getting what they needed.


Sometimes I let my schedule keep me from getting what I need from God. When you have small children at home, your time is not your own. And there are plenty of things pulling on me: family stuff, church commitments, house stuff, writing stuff, reviews waiting, etc.


The other challenge is that circumstances can keep us from going to the Lord. The enemy is really clever at lying to us. If you believe his lies you might avoid running to God. Satan convinced Eve in the garden that she couldn’t trust God’s heart.


Are there areas in your life where you don’t trust God’s heart?


We need to seek the Lord (daily devotions) no mater what the circumstances (weather). Good days (when we’re feeling good emotionally, strong physically, mentally and spiritually) as well as bad days (when our emotions are uprooted by trials). Think of your devotional time as “your necessary food” and don’t let anything get in the way of meeting with Jesus daily.


I have not departed from the commandment of His lips;

I have treasured the words of His mouth

More than my necessary food. (Job 23:12, ModernKJV)

No comments: