Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Zero Hundred Hours

I know very little about military time, but recently I was on a retreat and the digital clock in my room was set to military time. I didn't want to mess with it, so I left it at that setting.

Ever worked through a whole day on military time? Midnight rolls around and what does it look like? 0:00--Foreign, at least to me. Like time has just started over again. Since midnight does officially indicate a new day has begun, seeing 0:00 drove home the truth that each new day ushers in a new set of opportunities and possibilities for positive changes in life.

I know someone who for years hasn't been their optimal weight. But this year decided to make some changes--going to the gym and eating better and what do you know? This person is now down five sizes. Every new day offers a new opportunity for change. Then, it's just a matter of sticking with it. That first step takes you halfway there. You're moving in the right direction.

Also, staring at the 0:00 for several seconds, I was reminded of God's mercies being new every morning.

Through the LORD’S mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23, NKJV)

So, even if I totally failed yesterday, I can still pick up, start a new day and move forward with hope. God is patiently changing me from the inside out and I'll take his hand again.

Thank God for new days, new starts and new life.

1 comment:

Betsy St. Amant said...

Thanks for sharing! Great thought!! =)