Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No Striving

Ever approached a door to a library or restaurant, and someone opens it for you? or the last person exiting or entering, holds it open for you? Maybe the host or hostess sees you coming and pulls back the door just as you’re arriving. She or he smiles at you, glad you’ve arrived.

Last Sunday morning in church the Lord showed me once again that He is my Father who opens doors for me. I’m not talking about physical, three-dimensional doors. I’m speaking of opportunities.

When Jesus walked the earth, He didn’t strive. You never read of Him scurrying anywhere. He knew His Father’s will (through communion with Him), and He followed it. He lived out His calling in God’s perfect timing, without worrying or trying to force events to happen in His life.

God has called me. In His timing He will open doors for me. He’s going before me and making a way, paving the pathway. My job is to pray for direction and keep moving forward. I can almost see Him, giddy with anticipation as I approach the next opportunity. And at just the right moment, He’ll open the door and beckon me inside, welcoming me with a smile and gentle honor. A humbling picture. Or maybe we’ll bypass a few doors. I can’t force my way in. I don’t want that. God doesn’t want that. I only want to enter through a door by God’s grace.

And I don’t have to put pressure on myself to get there. I just have to trust Him and His timing. As my heavenly Father, He knows the right door and the right time.

Has God called you to kingdom work? Just remember you do not have to strive to make something happen before it’s time. Steadily work in that direction, growing, learning. Don’t stress or be anxious about the possibilities you see which could come along, or worry about the success of others. (or worse, begrudge their success.) Be faithful in the small things and watch God bring the greater things. Be a person of integrity. Be honest and generous. Be Christlike.

being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; (Php 1:6 NKJV)

Wait. Don’t run ahead. He’ll get the door for you. He’s your Father who opens doors for you.

1 comment:

Dawn Kinzer said...

Thanks, Annette, for your words of wisdom and important reminders.

I needed to read this today...