Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Find "Selah" Time


Reading through the Psalms, you're likely to run into a little word which we tend to skip over. It's Selah, and I've heard it described to mean "pause." So, you're reading along in the Psalms and the psalmist gives a particularly poignant or powerful phrase, then he says "selah," or "stop and think about that a moment."

Here's an example of where David used the word several times in Psalm 3.

Many are they who say of me, "There is no help for him in God." Selah
But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
I cried to the LORD with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.


I was watching a popular teacher this morning on TV and she said we all need a little time for "selah" in our lives. A little time to reflect and stop the mad busy-ness of our lives. Can I hear an "amen"?

I've been rather swamped this season (beyond the holiday craziness) and now it's time for some purposeful "selah" time. Time to recharge. Time to connect with God, meditate on His word, hear from Him, reflect on what He's spoken to me.

Have you taken time for "selah" lately?

No comments: