Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Alone Time

On Mother's Day I took my daughter to the mall and we got her ears pierced. This was a special occasion, just the two of us. A few nights before that, I took another daughter out to a late meal after an evening church service. These are memories I have with each of them, during a time we spent on our own. My littlest one and I have special moments often, but I've been trying to be more purposeful with our time as she is much more interactive than she used to be.

These opportunities with my children are so important. They need time alone with myself and my husband, just to speak freely, laugh and make memories.

It strikes me, though, that lately my alone time with God has been too minimal. And I can easily berate myself for this. But I will choose to remember His grace. I believe God demonstrates Himself to people in a way that they expect Him to (on most occasions). The Word says:

With the faithful You will show Yourself faithful; with the upright man You will show Yourself upright. With the pure You will show Yourself pure; and with the perverted You will appear perverse. (2 Samuel 22:26-27, ModernKJV)

So, I will choose to remember that He is good, because the Word says He is good. I will remember His grace and hope in His mercy. That voice of condemnation has less of a foothold when I do. I also feel drawn the more I consider His goodness.

Like food and water, I need my alone time with God.

2 comments:

eph2810 said...

How awesome that you were able to spend time with your girls like this. It is good to have those times. I cherish the time I had with our son, who is almost 22...

The alone time with God I cherish because I draw strength from Him during that time to make it through my busy days.

Blessings to you and yours.

Annette M. Irby said...

I totally agree. May He always grace us with the willingness to come, because even that is a gift.

Annette