Monday, November 23, 2009

Exclusive Time

In the right column of this blog there is a widget for devotions. "Have you had your devotions today?" it asks. I especially like that one if I've had my time with the Lord that morning. Then, there's a widget about what I'm reading. (Right now? Bob Sorge's "Secrets of the Secret Place")

On Saturday night, our church's worship team met here at our home. We watched a teaching by Bob Sorge regarding worship leaders and our responsibility before Jesus as He woos His bride. A great teaching from the recent worship leaders' conference at Bethany World Prayer Center in Baton Rouge, LA. Listening to him teach stirred up a desire in my heart to read more of his book which I've been reading in chunks lately.

Last night as I read, I found a phrase I couldn't resist blogging about: exclusive time.

So many things vie for our time: family, church, work, career, service, holiday preparation, etc. Some (most?) are good. But if they crowd out time alone with God, we have to re-prioritize.

Bob explained something in his book which helped me move from legalism to grace--when we don't have our exclusive time with God, He isn't disappointed in us as if we've failed Him, He's disappointed for us because He knows what we're missing out on.

Lately, God's been drawing me aside to speak to me about my future, my calling, my life, my hangups. Amazing the information He wants to share, but I have to set aside everything else to hear, to write down what He's saying (I love to journal). He will speak to me in the day to day busy run-around. But I believe He wants to fill me up through one on one time, just Him and me. And silencing the other things around me fosters that intimacy.

I want to get alone with Him today, everyday, so I don't miss out.

But you, when you pray, go into your room,
and when you have shut your door,
pray to your Father who is in the secret place;
and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
(Matthew 6:6, NKJV)

Have you had your exclusive time with the Lord today?

No comments: